Two-factor authentication (2FA) is intended to better protect you and your personal information. With 2FA, you are required to confirm your identity with a device that you've previously registered in order to gain access. Typically, 2FA uses a text, phone call, or mobile application to confirm that it's you logging into your account.
Table of Contents
Note: The Duo Mobile application is currently supported on Android and iOS devices. Application support for Duo Mobile on Windows devices ended January 1, 2019. Users may still enroll and authenticate, but Duo no longer provides troubleshooting assistance for Windows devices.
- To install the app, first select your type of device.
- Follow the platform-specific instructions provided.
- Download the Duo Mobile App.
- After installing the app, return to the enrollment window and click “I have Duo Mobile installed.”
- Scan the QR code with your phone.
- The first time you launch the Duo Mobile app, you will see a welcome screen with a pop-up.
- Select "Allow" for the system to notify you so you can easily access the application requiring two-factor authentication.
- With Duo on your mobile device, scan the QR code on your computer screen to link it to your account.
- Once completed, click “Send Me a Push”. When you receive the Duo log in request on your phone, select "Approve".
- You will now see Northeastern University listed on the Duo app.
- Back on the computer, you can choose the type of contact method. If you choose "push notification" make sure that notifications are enabled on your device.
The current version of Duo Mobile supports iOS 10.0 and greater. Support for older Duo Mobile versions on iOS 9.0 ended April 1, 2018.
Find the latest version of Duo Mobile in the App Store.
For more information on downloading Duo Mobile on your iPhone or iPad, visit the Duo Mobile on iOS guide.
The current version of Duo Mobile supports Android 6.0 and greater. Support for older Duo Mobile versions on Android 5.0 ended April 1, 2018.
Find the latest version of Duo Mobile in Google Play.
For more information on downloading Duo Mobile on your Android device, visit the Duo Mobile on Android guide.
- Enter your phone number.
- Select "automatically call this device" from the "when I log in" drop-down menu.
On the Duo 2FA device management site, you may add multiple devices for Duo authentication. ITS recommends that users register at least two devices.
- After logging into the website (Duo authentication required after you register), select "add another device".
- Proceed through the setup for either a mobile device or a landline.
- Once this is complete, confirm your "Default Device" and choose your "When I log in" options.
On macOS, Duo is compatible with Touch ID for authentication. Learn more about using Touch ID for Duo authentication on a Mac.
DUO tokens can also be used to for two-factor authentication. Learn more about obtaining a Duo token here.